Black people in England and Wales are 7 times more likely to be stopped by police than white people. Asians are twice as likely. The vast majority are ordinary people guilty only of being the wrong color.
What are the stories behind the statistics?
Learn more about the human cost of stop and search.
But I thought England was the beacon of anti-racism. This just can’t be.
- Indigenous Australian
- Arrested for being drunk
- killed in police custody
- eye witness says he saw officer Chris Hurley beating him with his fist, saying "you had enough Mr. Doomadgee. You want some more?"
- police station footage shows Cameron screaming in pain for hours until he passed away in his cell of internal bleeding
- All officers present at the police station that evening had a BBQ, at which events of the day were discussed and statements to protect Hurley were prepared
- Hurley said that he and Cameron “tripped” and “fell” as they were entering the police station, causing Cameron’s internal damage and death
- the Palm Island police force, the very people who set out to protect Chris Hurley were the ones asked to carry out the investigation of Cameron’s death
- A member of Cameron’s family said "if [Chris Hurley] fell on top of Cameron, why did he have a black eye and a bruised jaw?"
- Coroner found that Cameron had suffered from multiple broken ribs and his liver destroyed, being cleaved almost in two over the top of his spine
- Hurley had faced complaints previously from the members of the indigenous community on Palm Island, he had shown violence and extreme prejudice toward the people he was supposed to protect.
- When the Indigenous community heard of Hurley’s actions and the subsequent actions of cooperation by the police force of Palm Island, the people of Palm Island had a riot, furious that a member of their community had been killed by a white police officer with no ramifications against him what so ever
- The riot was publicised more than Cameron Doomadgee’s murder had been and the public eye was focused on the “destructive” nature of the Indigenous people of Palm Island, and not the murder committed by Chris Hurley and the entirety of the Palm Islan police force.
- Hurley was cleared of all charges (even manslaughter and assault charges) despite the heavy load of evidence that was weighed against him, and the entire Queensland police force came out in support of a man who murdered a human being
- the only eye witness, an Indigenous man, was not asked to speak or give evidence at any point throughout the investigation
- Chris Hurley had the charges removed from his work record, received time off with pay and was allowed to return to his position of power within a matter of months
Australia is, and always has been extremely racist. These so called “terrorist threats” is just white Australia reinforcing the fact that we are a country being led by white supremacy. The sooner people figure this out the better.
(the use of this mans name has been approved by his family in order to spread awareness of the ever-growing racism within Australia and its law enforcement)
Today’s Gender of the Day is: The Alethiometer.
trans witch agenda:
illegal gender magic
recruiting friends and strangers
staying hydrated and beautiful
protecting each other
drawing sigils in nail art
please consider: rihanna as crowley and lupita as aziraphale
this brought to you by the committee for the healthy perpetuation of good omens fancasts that don’t involve a) benedict cumberbatch and martin freeman, b) benedict cumberbatch and matt smith, c) martin freeman and matt smith, or d) all the above + arthur darvill
'Meet the Generation of Incredible Native American Women Fighting to Preserve Their Culture' via Marie Claire
Eartha Kitt photographed by George Silk, 1955